Friday, May 6, 2011

Hope

I signed up for something called daily hope over at Postpartumprogress.com a month or so ago. I love this website and I love getting a daily email with encouraging supportive words. Today's daily hope really hit home for me.


"The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts." ~ Marcus Aurelius

"Only nine words and this quote says so much. The first thing I think of when I read it is my intrusive thoughts and how they were so painful that they really did feel like they were crushing my soul, altering it forever in some way. The second thing I think of, though, is the fact that we have the power to affect the impact our thoughts have on us. We feel them, yes, but we can also learn to manage them. We can learn mindfulness, we can learn cognitive behavioral techniques, and we can do whatever it takes to make sure they don't use permanent dye by understanding that they come from our illness and do not reflect our true nature as human beings."- Katherine Stone

Three weeks ago I learned just how powerful the mind can be. I could not stop the thoughts and I felt like at any moment I was going to slip into a hallucination. It literally felt like I was about to check out of life and it was scary. I also learned that I am stronger than my thoughts. I was able to hang on and be mindful of all the circumstances surrounding the way I was feeling. I have come out of this experience with a sense of strength in myself. My thoughts do not reflect who I am and I am going to beat this stupid illness!!

Have a fantastic weekend!

1 comment: